30 September 2021
The Cornubia Industrial Business Estate Management Association (CIBEMA) is committed to
protecting personal information as enforced by the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA)
which came into effect on 1 July 2021. Under POPIA, we are the ‘responsible party’ who determines
the purpose of and means for processing personal information.
What types of data does the CIBEMA collect and how?
To communicate effectively with all our stakeholders including precinct members, the eThekwini
Municipality, precinct-based businesses, the media and the public, the CIBEMA collects the following
- Full name
- Mailing email address
- Telephone number
- Cellphone number
Data is collected in the following ways:
- Newsletter subscriptions through the website
- Becoming a member of the CIBEMA
How is personal data used?
Personal data is used for the following functions:
- Communicating precinct-specific operations news, municipal notices and general news from
the precinct and greater Durban area.
- Coordinating board and annual general meetings.
- Creating WhatsApp groups for disseminating emergency and urgent notices when necessary.
- Sending emergency notices via SMS
Where do we store data and how is it secured?
Personal data gathered through our various operations is stored on One Drive, which is central to
the MA’s operations. Measures in place to secure this data include:
- All laptops, phones and tablets are password protected
- Office 365 MFA – Multi Factor Authentication on One Drive and Mail accounts
- Data encryption software is installed on all laptops
- Secure, password protected network connections
- No personal information is shared with third parties under any circumstances
What are the opt out procedures?
Members and stakeholders can opt out of our email communications by clicking on the unsubscribe
link at the bottom of the email. Members on WhatsApp groups can simply delete and exit the group.